SCORM 1.2/2004 as3 implementation

12 Comments

as3 loves scorm

It’s been a while since i last posted in my blog thx to the holidays and the the enormous num of projects that’ve fallen down. One of my lastest projects was to build a swf course for an LMS using the SCORM standart. That’s when i’ve ran across Philip Hutchison’s blog and his SCORM project. After a few days of SCORM researches and running through the pipwerks SCORM solution, i came up with the idea to make an extention of it, which would fully implement SCORM 1.2 and 2004 “from the box” in the nearest future (currently a beta yet it works). [to be continued...]

So, here’s my version of the SCORM implementation for as3:

Download as3scorm at sourceforge (OS, MIT license as always)

UPDATE: added a new archive with a sample course

Might be useful:
SCORM 1.2
SCORM 2004 4th edition (and some more)
SCORM resourses, books, articles, tools etc
Adobe’s serialization as3corelib
Philip Hutchison’s aka pipwerks SCORM labs

ps: Philip thx A LOT for yr help! Btw if u have any scorm related questions, do not hesitate to contact either me or Philip

12 Comments (+add yours?)

1. loudoweb
    Feb 01, 2011 @ 05:10:46

Hello,
    I wanted to try but the zip is broken, I can’t unzip it :S

2. jloa
    Feb 03, 2011 @ 05:31:32

Try it again. It’s just the sourceforge, they had a tech maintainance which involved the ftp server as far as i know. It all works now, all services up and running again.

3. mcb36
    Apr 13, 2011 @ 22:17:58

Just wondering if you could provide a simple example of the classes working together? That would help out a lot. Cheers!!!

4. jloa
    Apr 15, 2011 @ 06:10:44

mcb36 >> Specially for ya i’ve added a simple demo course example
    Grab here >> https://sourceforge.net/projects/as3scorm/files/scorm.lib.1.3b.samples.zip/download

5. mcb36
    Apr 17, 2011 @ 18:37:19

Thanks mate. I really appreciate the quick feed back and the great example! Please keep up the great work. Cheers!

6. jloa
    Apr 18, 2011 @ 00:59:39

you are welcome ^_^

7. TJ
    Jul 22, 2012 @ 16:12:03

I love what you did here. It does fix the score reporting issue from Captivate to the Blackboard 9.1 LMS. I have tried it and it works as far as scores are concerned. Thank you for the great work. However, I have a problem with reporting the learner responses to widget questions. The score is there fine, but the learner response appears as “N/A”. Questions built using Captivate (without widgets) report the learner responses fine. The widgets I am using include the Answer Class which does report the answer to Captivate’s Quiz Analyzer through Acrobat.com. Any ideas on how to fix this minor problem are greatly appreciated.

8. logonsuresh
    Jul 29, 2012 @ 22:53:41

Hi jloa, am new to LMS Area, using your scorm pack am working. All are working fine but i can’t get or set “complete status” from lms. Am using moodle lms. Please give me the solution.

Your code
    scormModel.completionStatus = SCORMModel.COMPLETION_STATUS_COMPLETE

9. jloa
    Aug 01, 2012 @ 12:49:20

Hi there, sorry for the late reply.
    I haven’t tested the lib in moodle, but as i’ve googled, you should turn the ‘course completion’ in the lms which enables completion tracking in the course settings of your course.
    Read this manual >> https://ecampus.fiu.edu/Quick%20Guide%20-%20Moodle%202%20Course%20Completion%20Tracking.pdf
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers!

upd: http://moodleista.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/how-to-enable-course-completion-and-set-up-activity-completion/

10. Ana
    Nov 16, 2012 @ 05:30:03

Hi
    It doesn´t work in SCORM cloud
    I created a package with Reload_Editor.

How can I test this?

11. Ana
    Nov 16, 2012 @ 08:22:27

I tasted with other manifiest.xml, and now it says “SCORM FAILED TO CONNECT”
    I don´t know what to do,

12. jloa
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 00:39:51

what was your manifest file like?